Thursday, October 25, 2012

TEACHING SOCIAL JUSTICE ISSUES… I am ALL for it!



Although it is a difficult subject to teach in schools because you must be careful with what you say and how you say it regarding the issue you are discussing, I think it is an amazing thing to teach in schools. Yes, it is a difficult task to accomplish, but with the right teacher and the right motivation I think it can be done. As long as teachers do not push their beliefs on the issues they are discussing I think that social justice issues can make for great class discussions. Everyone has their own opinion on issues and the younger students learn this, the more they will be respectful of other people’s beliefs later in life.
I love the following quote because it relates to my topic on Planned Parenthood regarding individual choices and why I believe social justice issues should be taught in schools.
“Struggle for social justice is central to our nation’s history…Concerns about the common good and the rights of the individual, no matter how humble in social standing, transcends politics and holds a definitive place in the realms of morality, ethics and federal law, and therefore in the world of teaching social studies.”
Like I said before, by teaching social just from a young age students will learn the responsibilities they have as an individual and that everyone has their own opinions and beliefs which should be respected, whether they support them or not.



No comments:

Post a Comment